Friday, August 20, 2010

A small recovery

I ended last night with another loss. I was definitely in the wrong frame of mind, so I did what I normally do and read some poker theory. I started with sklansky's stakes hold em, and got to calculating pot odds. I've tried to learn it three times to no avail, but this time it clicked.

I stayed late into the night running through my old pokerstars hand histories to calculate the odds as fast as I could. Which is not very fast at all. Thankfully there's many a chart online to help turn hard math into memorization. Thank you everyone who came before me to make this .2% easier for me.

I can't say that making moves based on expected value is completely relevant in small stakes tournaments, but i think it did put me in the right frame of mind. Poker is for the long term. Win the war, not the battle.

With all this new info bouncing in my head I played one of my best games to date, and came in first.

Bankroll: $29.20

Or it could have been all the weekend fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment